Sunday, May 15, 2011

Menu Plan Monday - Week of May 15th

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!  I started my weekend off with a kidless (unfortunately rainy) visit to the Mill City Farmers Market.  It was my first time to this market (I have always been a fan of the Minneapolis Farmers Market) and I am glad I visited.  It is much more intimate with a  lot of really cool, unique vendors.  Plenty of undercover area to tuck into on rainy days like Saturday, too!  The highlight was the asparagus - oh my gosh it looked so good!  I bought a pound and we had it for dinner tonight (Sunday) - so yummy.  It makes me excited for all the local, fresh veggies to come!  

I am excited about my menu this week - some new flavors mixed in with some "old reliables" and of course all of the upcoming in-season produce at the farmer's market - yay! 

If you did not give the slow cooker Mexican lasagna a try in March when I originally posted it, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is meatless - the cauliflower gives it a meaty texture though.  Hubby and my little guy loved it.  For more menu inspiration check out Orgjunkie's menu plan post!


Monday:  A "reinvented" kid classic - Mac and Cheese (Annie GF Mac and Cheese - allergy-friendly (unless dairy is on your list) with no artificial colors and GF noodles!) :), green beans and  leftover burgers

Tuesday:  Poached Ginger Chicken with rice, salad/green beans (I will make this with changes to the oils - no peanut or sesame oil.  I'll sub in olive oil.  Despite the substitute, I still think this will be tasty!  Poaching is a great way to prep meat for kids, too - it turns out tender and soft.)
tip:  prepare ginger/shallot "dressing" the night before

Wednesday: Leftovers

Thursday:  Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna
tip:  prepare pot the night before; buy pre-cut, pre-washed cauliflower

Friday:  Leftovers again! (love that!)
Saturday:  Grilled Pork Tenderloin (sub veg oil for canola oil in marinade) with fresh farmer's market sides (most likely the amazing asparagus that is in season right now!)
tip:  marinate on Friday night, the more time int he marinade, the better!

Sunday:  Burger Night!  Spinach Artichoke Turkey Burgers, Grilled Potato Chips (thinly slice large potatoes the long way, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper, grill!)

No comments:

Post a Comment