Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones

As you may know by now, I am a big fan of pumpkin.  I love to bake in the fall so pumpkin treats naturally become part of my repertoire.  I love taking tried and true recipes and making tweaks to put my own stamp on them.  This is a scone recipe that I use frequently during the summer months when fresh berries are in season.  I made some changes to it to make it a fall favorite.  Pair these will my latest obsession - pumpkin buttered coffee - and you are set for a delicious fall breakfast!


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones (adapted from this recipe)

1 cup brown rice flour + 1/2 cup sorghum flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon sea salt

1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup organic palm shortening

1/4 cup maple syrup
½ cup + 2 tablespoons cold non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life mini chips)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, pumpkin spice and sea salt into a medium mixing bowl and whisk together well. Cut in the shortening with your fingers or a pastry cutter until coarse crumbs are formed.

In a separate small bowl whisk together the syrup, milk, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Add this to the dry ingredients and quickly mix together with a fork or wooden spoon until the dough thickens. Fold in the chocolate chips, being very careful not to over mix.

Drop by the large spoonful onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 to 17 minutes, depending on the size of your scone.  Ma
kes 6-8 scones.



No comments:

Post a Comment