Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nourishing Snacks

I think the biggest challenge when converting my family to a traditional foods diet (while still being allergy-friendly!) has been weaning us off processed foods almost 100%.  My cupboards used to be full of processed foods - crackers, chips, cereal, granola bars, etc.  I am proud to say they are only about 50% full now (and mostly with rice, pasta and other non-processed staples), but it will take some time to completely convert (and, let's be honest, there will always be busy times when we will have to grab a granola bar or a bowl of cereal)! 

The most challenging time of day for me comes at snack time for my little guy (and for my hubby and I)!  This is where planning and preparation are SO key.

In the past few weeks I have dug up quite a few great resources that I would like to share with you.  Even if you can implement just a couple of these "non-processed" snack ideas into your repertoire, you and your family will be that much better off!

My go-to snacks for Ben include:
Apple slices dipped in coconut milk yogurt
A sprouted corn tortilla spread with Sunbutter (we love Food For Life brand tortillas)
Frozen grapes (I keep baggies of them in the freezer) with ham or turkey roll-ups
Homemade granola and sliced grass-fed beef sausage sticks with peas (toss the sliced sausage with frozen peas!  So easy and great on-the go!)
 
Now I am/will be layering some of these ideas into the mix:

Top 10 Snacks from A Nourishing Home

Easy Pate (yes, liver pate - one of my near-term goals is implementing this incredibly nutrient-dense organ into our diets.  Everything I read and anyone I speak with who follows this diet swears by pate... my little guy loves dipping things so I think this is my best shot at getting him to eat liver!)

e-Book:  Healthy Snacks to Go by Kitchen Stewardship (I just purchased this book for $6.95 and just finished making the granola which turned out great (not soaked because I just can't have my oven on that long in the summer.  But I will do this in the winter!)  The highlight are the "LaraBar" recipes...  great for my hubby and I for pre- or post-workout snacks!)

If you have favorite homemade snacks that you would like to share, please comment here or email me! 

Happy Snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment