Sunday, November 13, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I LOVE creamy chicken and wild rice soup!  I am making a standard chicken soup in the crock but adding a little "creaminess" at the end.  (I used a few basic recipes to create this one, so this will be new for me this week, as well!)  I may sneak some organic butter into this but avoid all other dairy (my little guy is not allergic to dairy but we avoid it for the most part due to his asthma, as dairy can be an irritant to this condition or for anyone that has a cold or flu bug, for that matter!)  If you cannot do any dairy, sub in ghee or a another DF butter substitute.  OR just eat this without the roux/milk mix added at the end for a classic chicken and rice soup.  I will update this post with photos and the taste result, would love to hear if you try this during the week, as well!

Lunchbox idea:  This is brilliant.  Freeze soup in 8 oz. mason jars and defrost overnight before adding to a thermos for your family's lunches!  Perfect!   (Other awesome lunch packing tips here, too).

Note:  For a richer soup, double the butter, flour and milk amounts.  I just want a touch of creaminess so I am keeping it lighter.


Ingredients:

6 cups chicken broth (I use homemade bone broth)
2 chicken breasts (I use shredded chicken from the freezer)
2 tsp salt, divided (I use Real Salt) plus more to taste (adjust depending on the broth that you are using!)
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup (approx) GF all purpose flour (we use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup unsalted organic pastured butter (1/2 stick)
1 cup (approx) coconut milk
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion


Directions:


Combine broth, 1 tsp salt, carrots, celery, carrot, onion, chicken and rice in a large slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Take out chicken and shred with two forks (if not already shredded) and then add back into slow cooker. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour mixture by tablespoon until a roux forms (a thick consistency). Whisk in coconut milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes.


Linked to Sunday Night Soup Night!
Linked to Traditional Tuesdays

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish! Coconut milk would make a tasty change from dairy cream. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Sunday Night Soup Night. I'll be hosting weekly through fall and winter, so I'd love to see you again with your next soup/stock/chowder recipe!

    ReplyDelete