This would make a wonderful (and affordable!) gift for your Thanksgiving Day host/hostess. It definitely has a spot on the table with your Thanksgiving dinner, as well - I would love a scoop of this savory "ketchup" next to my turkey in place of any cranberry sauce! It is also a wonderful everyday replacement for your standard ketchup, use it as a sandwich spread, scoop it over baked brie for a holiday gathering or use it as a dip for baked sweet potato fries. Lots of possibilities! As an added bonus, it has loads more nutritional value and a unique flavor that is perfect for fall.
If you do not have one already, I highly recommend that you pick up a hand blender for recipes such as this one (also wonderful for making blended soups... saves tons of time in both prep and dish cleaning!)
Cranberry Pumpkin Ketchup
Ingredients (preferably organic ingredients!)
3 cups (12 oz bag) fresh cranberries
1 small to medium sweet yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 tsp. grated orange zest PLUS 1 large piece of orange zest PLUS juice of this orange
2 tsp. grated ginger PLUS 2 one inch pieces of ginger
3/4 cup whole cane sugar (aka rapadura)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp of salt (may need more to taste)
- Rinse cranberries thoroughly. Set aside to drain.
- In a medium to large saucepan, add water, apple cider vinegar, 2 one inch pieces of ginger and the onions. Bring to a simmer and simmer until onions are tender (10 minutes uncovered).
- Add juice from the orange, pumpkin puree, all orange zest and grated ginger, stir to combine with onion mixture.
- Add cranberries, simmer uncovered until the berries begin to pop and soften (approx. 10 minutes).
- Remove large ginger pieces and large piece of orange zest.
- Puree with hand blender (or in a food processor) until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add whole cane sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Mix well and warm through on low heat.
- Serve warm or cold.
|Served here on a turkey burger (burger recipe from this week's menu plan)!|
This will be linked up with:
Food Allergy Fridays
Healthy 2day Wednesdays
Fresh Bites Friday
Allergy Free Vintage Cookery Lunchbox Love