Sunday, September 18, 2011

Apple Sauce in your Crock Pot!

We visited an apple orchard this weekend and I purchased Macintosh apples so that I could make a big batch of crock pot applesauce.

After making this sauce, I made some tweaks to the original recipe that I used (although it turned out delicious, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things).  I used a 3.5 quart slow cooker and filled it with sliced apples.  Here is my recipe:

10-12 cups cored, peeled, sliced apples (I used Macintosh)
1 - 1.5 cups cups water (more apples, more water...  I used 2 cups, would use less next time)
1.5 tsp cinnamon (I used more cinnamon than the original recipe called for and I'm glad I did!)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I did not use this time, would add for flavor depth!)
1/2 tsp cloves  (I did not use this time, would add for flavor depth!)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste) **My apples were on the tart side, so once I tasted the final product I added about 1 tbsp. maple syrup to sweeten it a little.

Mix all ingredients together, cook on low for 7 hours.  The apples broke down into a wonderful sauce (no need for additional mashing/pureeing!)  And it made my house smell wonderful!







This post is linked to:
Healthy 2day Wednesdays  http://day2dayjoys.blogspot.com/


2 comments:

  1. Christina, this looks so simple! I made apple butter a couple years ago and made it with granny smiths which was Very tart! I havent made my own apple sauce but an going to this fall! Thanks for reminding me! Thank you for linking up at Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Sorry I have been out of the loop for a bit, we have moved houses! Hope you'll join in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just wanted to let you know I included your applesauce in my post, "An Allergy-Friendly Christmas Breakfast" today. :)

    http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2011/12/allergy-friendly-virtual-christmas.html

    Happy holidays!
    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete