Sunday, September 11, 2011

Menu Plan for 9/12/11

I hope everyone had a good first week of "back to school" or whatever transitions you may have been in last week!  This week is our transition week.  Lots of new things for my little guy - new child care at our church, a new Kindermusik class (which he LOVES so I am excited for that!) and we are going to meet a new pediatrician as well.  With all of Ben's health issues (food allergies, environmental allergies leading to asthma, etc.) we were looking to find someone who was more in line with the integrative approach that we are taking for him, which includes not only western medicine but a traditional, whole foods diet, supplementation, homeopathy and chiropractic care.  Through a referral, I am hoping that this new ped will be a good fit.  I never expect to find someone with western training who will be completely in line with everything we are going, but our current ped is basically against anything we do outside of her care which has been very discouraging.  I'll keep you posted on our meeting this week!

We will also be packing lunches for the little guy starting this week when he goes to his "school."  I am using a lunchbox (Bento box) I found here - I will keep you updated on new and creative ideas for packing lunches, and would love your ideas as well.  Thanks for a friend who led me to This Lunch Rox which is an amazing blog written by a working mom who makes incredibly creative lunches for her kids.  Definitely inspirational!  She keeps kids with food allergies in mind when she writes her posts.  I am excited to follow her.

Here is our plan for this week!  Check out OrgJunkie's blog for more menu planning inspiration - look for "allergy free" labels on the linked plans!

Monday:  Rosemary Sage Pork Chops with Saffron Zucchini and Herb Cous-Cous
Tip:  The Cous-Cous recipe sounds fancy but it is really easy - definitely something you can/should make the night before!  Add any protein to this side dish and you've got a great well-rounded dinner!

Tuesday:  Crock Pot Chili (missed on Sunday due to BBQ... and it was too hot for chili!) with green bean side
Tip:  Prep the night before, plug it in and go!

Wednesday:  Leftovers

Thursday:  Quinoa Burgers with roasted carrots
Tip:  I'll make this easier by using already ground spices (yep, grinding my own spices is where I draw the line! :) - we'll use the egg replacer and no soy sauce - just add a little extra salt for flavor.  May add some garden fresh herbs for additional flavor!)

Friday:  Wing it!

Saturday:  BBQ with neighbors...  Grass fed burgers and brats, salad, corn on the cob

Sunday: Oven Roasted Chicken with crock pot squash (this is the best recipe I have used - back to oven roasting due to cooler temps!)  Replace butter in squash recipe with coconut oil or ghee for dairy-free.

1 comment:

  1. Christina, glad you checked out the blog This Lunch Rox! I'm inspired by your meal planning. Made chili today (w/ grass-fed deer)and prepared our yogurt cups for the week (whole fat plain yogurt w/honey and strawberries. It's a start! Thanks for the inspirational posts!

    ReplyDelete